BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Seems To Backup Whole System

2010-03-03 10:44:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Seems To Backup Whole System
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:43:01 -0500
Mike Bydalek wrote:
> I hate bring this up again, but after taking advice from Les and John,
> I'm not seeing what I think I should be seeing.  After changing my
> current config to the one below, I started to have incr, incr, full,
> incr, incr, full, but the full's were doing the entire 600G.
>
> Here's what I have for my Host Schedule:
> XferMethod: rsync
> FullPeriod: 1.97
> FullKeepCnt: 12
> FullAgeMax: 13.5
> IncrPeriod: 0.49
> IncrKeepCnt: 28
> IncrLevels: 1,2,3,4
>
> What was odd was the 0 full backup wouldn't go away, even after 20
> days, so I decided to just completely wipe the pool and start over.
> Here's the last few backup numbers:
>
> Type  Level  Files  Duration
> full  0      1006837  2535
> incr  1      1618    69
>
> The system is currently backing up and has been since 3/2 16:00, so
> it's doing another full.  This is telling me that the entire server is
> backed up on every full.  If I move this offsite, it's going to
> re-transfer the entire system over, which is what I *can't* have as
> it'll take way too long to backup this much data.
>
> Am I missing something here or doing something wrong?  I would have
> thought that the diffs between the last increment and the current
> backup would be "merged" somehow to create the latest full.
>
> I'm running version 3.2.0beta1 as well.  Thanks for any assistance!

The full backup will only transfer changes across the network, but it
has to traverse the entire directory tree to find the changes.  This is
the main reason that full backups take longer than incrementals.  Since
you have so many files, rsync may be running out of memory while trying
to walk the directory tree.  Watch the ram usage on both the client and
the server while the backup is happening.  If you are running out of
ram, then you may be able to increase performance by adding more memory.

My largest backup is 315GB with 1.8 million files.  The full backup
takes about 10 hours to run.

If you want to be sure of exactly how much network traffic is being
generated, you can monitor the traffic through the network card or
switch port during the backup.

--
Bowie