BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote mirror sanity checks

2010-03-01 05:43:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote mirror sanity checks
From: "Johannes H. Jensen" <joh AT pseudoberries DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:42:25 +0100
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:42 AM, dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Johannes H. Jensen <joh AT pseudoberries DOT
> com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, one of the files in question is the fformat file of a .svn/
>> directory which appears many times in one of the backed up
>> filesystems. Since it will have the same md5 sum, BackupPC links it to
>> the same file in cpool...
>
> I highly doubt you are reaching the maximum number of hardlinks for a single
> file but rather the maximum for the filesystem.  I cant find any real
> numbers on the maximum number of hardlinks for the filesystem or i'd post
> it.

Actually it appears that I am. From the output of ls -l:

$ ls -l cpool/7/c/6/7c67493bd72ceff21059c3d924d17518
-rw-r----- 32000 backuppc backuppc 10 2009-01-25 19:02
cpool/7/c/6/7c67493bd72ceff21059c3d924d17518

Notice the second column - link count at 32000 which is the maximum
allowed for ext3.

On the local backuppc server I have this:

 ls -l cpool/7/c/6/7c67493bd72ceff21059c3d924d17518
-rw-r----- 16473 backuppc backuppc 10 2009-01-25 19:02
cpool/7/c/6/7c67493bd72ceff21059c3d924d17518

Which is over half the maximum allowed hard links. Since no old
backups are removed from the remote server, the hard link limit will
be reached after approx 14-15 backups on the remote server (after 6-7
days).

AFAIK, the link limit of reiserfs is 64 000. This would surely help
for a while, but would result in the same issues in the end.

Now I was thinking of running another instance of BackupPC on the
remote server, using the same pc and hosts configuration as the local
server but with $Conf{BackupsDisable} = 2 in the global config. This
instance should then keep the remote pool clean (with
BackupPC_trashClean and BackupPC_nightly). Could someone indicate
whether this is a good idea? Would it work as I expect?

Best regards,

Johannes H. Jensen