BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Seems To Backup Whole System

2010-02-18 21:35:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Seems To Backup Whole System
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:32:48 -0500
Mike Bydalek <mbydalek AT compunetconsulting DOT com> wrote on 02/18/2010
08:06:15 PM:

> After re-reading the documentation for {IncrLevels} again the
> configuration settings are starting to make sense.  The only question
> I have left is, does creating a new "full" backup *have* to do the
> entire full backup again?  Can't it just perform an increment and
> merge it to create a full?  The reason I ask is I'm planning on moving
> this server off-site so it'll go over a WAN.  Sending 250G over a 1M
> connection every week or two doesn't sound fun!  Is this what
> $Conf{IncrFill} is supposed to handle?

Not really.  What is supposed to handle that is the type of backup
transfer method you're using.

You really, *really* want to use rsync or rsyncd to do this.  In that
case, the difference between a full and an incremental bandwidth-wise is
negligible because of rsync's bandwidth-saving properties.

Without rsync, fulls will be nearly impossible no matter *what* your
incremental count is.  With rsync, you don't have t do anything crazy:
just use the default settings.

> What I want is to basically perform a backup every day and keep 30
> days of backups without doing another 'full' backup.  I don't really
> care how many 'full' backups I have as long as I can restore from 29
> days ago.  Would these settings do the trick for that?

If you're using rsync, don't bother.  Just keep the typical
full/incremental settings; you only have to change the IncrKeepCnt to 26
and the FullKeepCnt to 4 (or keep IncrKeepCnt at 30 and the FullKeepCnt at
4 if you have the space).

The initial sync is the doozy.  People have all kinds of ways of doing
this:  moving the backup server to the local network of the host for the
first full, doing them a piece of a time, or just waiting the week or so
it would take to do the backup.  Once the first full is done, the rest
should be fine, depending on your amount of changed data per week.  Now,
if you're changing 10GB of data per day, any backup is going to be
difficult.  But assuming reasonable deltas, this will work perfectly.

Tim Massey