BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.2 - Possible bug with localhost backup

2010-02-12 13:22:54
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.2 - Possible bug with localhost backup
From: James Kyle <jameskyle AT ucla DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:20:45 -0800
Morning,

I think I've found a bug in BackupPC 3.2 (beta0 and beta1). I seem to recall
this being an issue in BackupPC 3.1 as well.

If you do not tunnel over ssh, local backup paths with spaces fail due to both
quoting and escaping.

For example:

/path/with space/in it/

$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = /usr/bin/sudo $rsyncPath $argList+

rsync attempts to change directory into "/path/with\ space/in\ it/"

The double quotes cause the \ to be interpreted literally as well as the space.
Here's a typical error entry in XferLOG.bad.z:

Remote[1]: rsync: change_dir "/path/with\ space/in\ it/" failed: No such file
or directory (2)

Cheers,

-james