BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] autossh issues

2010-01-28 19:06:54
Subject: [BackupPC-users] autossh issues
From: Trey Nolen <support AT internetpro DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:37:55 -0600
We've been using Backuppc for years to backup machines over the WAN.  It
has worked nearly flawlessly for us in the past, but we are starting to
see issues with new machines that we bring online.  I think the trouble
may have to do with the recent updates to Cygwin.

When backing up remote Windows machines over a WAN, we setup a
persistent tunnel using autossh and then backup to localhost on some
port which is redirected to rsync on the remote server.   Here is a
typical example:
/usr/lib/autossh/autossh -2 -N -M 38022 -L 9035:localhost:873 -C
administrator AT remotehost.domain DOT com &

In our config.pl, we will have some lines like these:
$Conf{XferMethod}='rsyncd';
$Conf{ClientNameAlias} = localhost;
$Conf{RsyncdClientPort} = 9035;

Now, our issue lately is that the tunnels always seem to be dropping.
We get errors like this:
Warning: remote port forwarding failed for listen port 38022

That invariably restarts the ssh tunnel, which drops any active rsync.
We've tried with other commands like this:
/usr/lib/autossh/autossh -o "ServerAliveInterval 59" -o
"ServerAliveCountMax 20" -2 -N -M 0 -L 9035:localhost:873 -C
administrator AT remotehost.domain DOT com &

But these fail as well.   We are also seeing a build up of 10's to 100's
of sshd.exe and rsync.exe processes on the remote machines which is
bringing them to a crawl.

Does anyone have any ideas of ways we can change what we are doing with
the new Cygwin that will help?   Is there a way to install the old
Cygwin?

One other thing: we have been replacing the rsync.exe that comes with
the new Cygwin with an older one that uses protocol 28.  We did that
because 1) that is the highest protocol the rsync perl module supports,
and 2) the newer Cygwin rsync seems to leave .pid files laying around
when the server is rebooted, and subsequently won't restart until you
delete the .pid.

Thanks.

Trey Nolen