BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Testing the mail function from BackupPC

2010-01-28 11:13:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Testing the mail function from BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:12:11 -0600
On 1/28/2010 9:17 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:

>>> Did you perhaps set SendmailPath to mail instead of /usr/sbin/sendmail?
> -t
>> is a
>>> flag to sendmail that says the To:/From: headers are already in the input.
>>
>> I didn't change those paths, it's a plain vanilla install really. With that
>> said, /usr/bin/mail is the preset value.

I'd report that as a bug to the packager.

>> Ok, I'll try sendmail instead then. Thanks!
>>
>> @Tony Molloy:
>> I run BackupPC on CentOS 5.4 and used the howto available at
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupPC for setting this up. No mention of
>> sendmail in that howto.
>>

> Changed the path and now I don't get any error message any longer. Can't
> tell for sure if works or not though. Am I supposed to get the testmail in
> the inbox for the mail address listed below?
>
> root@mach012 ~/ [0]# su -s /bin/bash - backuppc
> backuppc@mach012 ~/ [0]$ whoami
> backuppc
> backuppc@mach012 ~/ [0]$ /usr/bin/BackupPC_sendEmail -u
> sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se
> Sending test email using /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -f sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu
> DOT se
> backuppc@mach012 ~/ [0]$
>
> This is getting tedious. I hope you guys don't mind my ranting back and
> forth... 8-}
>
> Thanks all for now, I'm pretty sure I'll be back soon again with something
> else I need help with.

Sendmail should work for _sending_ mail (but not receiving remotely) out
of the box on a Centos install if your DNS works and you have direct
outbound access.  If you have to relay through another host to get out,
set SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc and restart sendmail.  If you have to
deliver local mail to another server, set MAIL_HUB in sendmail.mc.  If
you don't have a DNS-resolvable hostname, you will have to also set
MASQUERADE_AS in sendmail.mc to get most other machines to accept the
mail.  You can look at /var/log/maillog to see where things are going.