BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Thinking aloud about backup rotation

2010-01-27 11:24:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Thinking aloud about backup rotation
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:22:33 +0100
Hi Nigel,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 02:40:24PM -0000, Nigel Kendrick wrote:

> [...]

If possible, let your job run at, say 11 o'clock p.m. or like 10 minutes
before midnight. It could
1. move last days backup /backupdir/current.bak to
/somewhere-else/backup_thisday.bak
2. start new backup into /backupdir/current.bak

Then let BackupPC only backup /backupdir. That way you get your local
history of backups and provide BackupPC the opportunity to use rsync's
differential transfer optimizations.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de