BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Lenny Client, xinetd, rsyncd -- auth failed on module .. missing secret

2010-01-22 11:43:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Lenny Client, xinetd, rsyncd -- auth failed on module .. missing secret
From: Bob Mann <bob AT watzanetwork DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:27:37 -0500
Hello backuppc users,

I am having problems adding a Debian Lenny workstation to my backuppc
test bed.

I am running an openvpn virtual network over the internet.  I have one
Lenny workstation working just fine.  I have multiple (2) XP PC's also
running just fine.  I am using rsyncd as my transport method.

But, I am unable to add additional Lenny workstations, and cannot figure
out what I may have done differently on the one workstation that works.

In my rsyncd log on my workstation I just keep getting:

 auth failed on module bobnotebook from UNKNOWN (10.0.0.1): missing
secret for user "bob"

  From the backuppc interface ( on the server ), I get that the server
responded with OK, and then I get a secrets file missing error.

On my workstation:
---------------------------
/etc/rsyncd.conf

max connections = 2
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
[bobnotebook]                                   #Module Name
  auth users = bob                   # authorized rsyncd user
  path = /home/bob/save                       # backup folder
  secrets file = /etc/rsyncd/rsyncd.scrt
  hosts allow = 10.0.0.1
  uid = nobody
  gid = nogroup
-------------------------------------
/etc/rsyncd/rsyncd.scrt  (permissions are read-only for root)

bob:bob
----------------------------------

/etc/default/rsync
RSYNC_ENABLE=inetd

---------------------------------
/etc/xinted.d/rsync

service rsync
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/bin/rsync
server_args = --daemon
log_on_failure += USERID
}

---------------------------
Also in my hosts.allow on the workstation I have 10.0.0.1

Anyone have any thoughts on where I am going wrong, or what I am
missing.

I also have tried running rsync from the command line on the backuppc
server, and I get similar results.  I get a
prompt for  a password (so the two machines are talking), and then
failure.

THANKS!

bob