BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Max file sizes

2010-01-22 08:01:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Max file sizes
From: Simon Fishley <simonfishley AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:33:36 +0200
Hi All

The FAQ here
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/limitations.html#maximum_backup_file_sizes
suggests there are limitations to the maximum size of a file that can
be backed up, specifically when using GNUtar or smbclient.

I have several users running VirtualBox under Ubuntu and, regularly,
these virtual machine files exceed 10GB for an individual file. We are
using rsync to backup the data and the FAQ suggests more testing is
needed to be certain of the max file size rsync can manage.

Has anyone done any of this testing? Can anyone share with me how they
are backing up virtual machine files?

Thanks
Simon