BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Yet another offsite backup question. how to do the restore?

2010-01-06 15:00:43
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Yet another offsite backup question. how to do the restore?
From: dstahl <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:49:18 -0500
My apologies if this has been answered before. I tried searching around the
forums and could not find a straightforward answer to this question.
  Our set up is one backuppc server on the lan backing up multiple servers, we
are then off-siting all the data to another server via rsync. This is working
fine. However when I got to the point of testing our restores from the off-site
location, that is where things get a bit confusing.
 First I tried installing backuppc on the offsite server and doing a restore
from the web-gui. big mistake. not only did it erase some of the full and
incremental backups because I forgot to set the retention periods as the same
on both servers, but also entirely screws up rsync script, since the offsite
server's backuppc install modified files in the data directories, therefore
causing almost a full rsync each time instead of just new and modified rsyncs.
  Next I tried the command-line restore. putting this all in a tar seems crazy
since it is almost 3TB of data. That would mean I would need 6TB of space,
which I don't have. I tried piping the command like so:
BackupPC_tarCreate -h myserver -n -1 -s '/server/shares' / > pm.tar
  However it gives me out of memory errors. (this was done on a lab server. not
sure if real server with more memory will give same error)

  So here is my condensed question. Given my scenario, Backuppc to offsite
server via rsync. What is the best way to do a full (and partial) restore from
the offsite server?