BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows bare metal restore

2009-11-29 05:31:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows bare metal restore
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 05:28:07 -0500
Bob Weber wrote at about 13:23:55 -0500 on Thursday, November 26, 2009:
 > I have cloned Windows systems (win 2k to XP) by using sysrescucd.
What is sysrescucd?

 > First I would use ntfsresize to re-size the file system to the
 > smalist disk I would restore to.  This is not necessary if you will
 > always use the same disk size or larger.  Then I would copy the
 > first 100 megs or so (not really sure how much is necessary but
 > this amount allways worked) using dd.  If the destination disk was
 > a different size I would use fdisk to resize the c: partition to
 > the size of the new disk making sure the partition always started
 > at the same block as the original.  If the size is the same I would
 > use fdisk to write the the original partition table back so the
 > kernel would know the disk partition table changed (this saves a
 > reboot since the dd copy process copies a new partition table
 > also).  Next I would use ntfsclone to clone the whole ntfs file
 > system.  ntfsclone just copies the data and directory structure so
 > it is usually pretty fast.  If the disk is bigger than the original
 > I would use ntfsresize to resize the ntfs file system to the new
 > partition.

Not sure why you need to use 'dd' before ntfsclone. I thought that
ntfsclone was supposed to clone the entire ntfs filesystem at a low
level -- analogous to Norton Ghost.

If you are just trying to copy over the partition table then why not
just export that using something like 'sfdisk -d /dev/sdx'.

If you are trying to copy over the MBR, then you would just need to
use dd on the first 512 bytes (if memory servers me).

If I am mistaken, I would be interested in knowing what part of an NTFS is not
copyable by just using ntfsclone (and any sources for additional info
would be most helpful.)

Thanks