BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] DumpPreUserCmd status returns

2009-11-27 09:28:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] DumpPreUserCmd status returns
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:26:26 -0500
Craig Barratt wrote at about 09:51:53 -0800 on Thursday, November 26, 2009:
 > Jeffrey writes:
 >
 > > As many know, I use rsync in DumpPreUserCmd to run my shadowmountrsync
 > > routine on the remote client. This routine has many legitimate reasons
 > > for not returning success.
 > >
 > > However, the backuppc log often shows on failure:
 > >                  2009-11-24 11:00:04 DumpPreUserCmd returned error status
 > > 512... exiting
 > >
 > > I don't understand the 512 status since the rsync man pages lists
 > > return codes as 0-35. So what does 512 mean?
 >
 > It's 256 * exitStatus, so the exit status is 2.  The lower 8 bits are
 > the signal number, if any, that killed the process.

Thanks Craig...

So, I guess if I want to return the exit code of the remote process I
am running (shadowmountrsync) then I should have shadowmountrsync
write the exit code to stdout. Then capture that as the output of the
remote rsync command and return it.

The only challenge is that commands like DumpPreUserCmd are executed
directly without a shell which means I have to either wrap it in a
script or in some "bash -c" ugliness.

Which brings to mind a suggestion...
Why not execute these commands in a shell.
They are not run that frequently (once per day per host) so the
overhead of launching a shell would be low while the benefit would be
high in terms of flexibility.

Thanks