BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Hot Imaging Tool and BackupPC

2009-11-23 13:16:43
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Hot Imaging Tool and BackupPC
From: Vince Tingey <vtingey AT msl.ubc DOT ca>
To: Backuppc Users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:58:39 -0800
Hello Everyone,

We have been using BackupPC for about 2 years now and its great for doing file level backups!  However for doing a bare metal restore we had to first restore from an offline system image of various age then restore files from the BackupPC server.

Recently we found a free tool for linux system hot backups offered from R1Soft.  http://www.r1soft.com/tools/linux-hot-copy/

It looks like we could use this tool with BackupPC to always have an up-to-date bare metal image to restore.  The downside being losing the ability to restore individual files from BackupPC unless we also keep a backup of the files in addition to the image file.  This doesn't seem too bad though as disk space is pretty cheap and we don't have a ton of servers.  I'm also wondering if the storage pooling built into BackupPC would work on the block level image files create by the Linux Hot Copy tool to reduce the storage space needed.

So yes, the main question is has anyone used Linux Hot Copy before with BackupPC and what were their experiences.

Thank you,
--

Vince