BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Was BackupPC_trashClean ever fixed not to hog CPU

2009-11-18 15:42:40
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Was BackupPC_trashClean ever fixed not to hog CPU
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:39:44 -0500
In the past, people have mentioned that sometimes BackupPC_trashClean
seems to get hung and hog almost 100% of CPU.

This is quite insidious since what apparently happens is that when
trashClean has trouble removing a file(s), it just continues to loop
through trying.

However, no error message is posted to the log or the web
interface. In my case, it seems that this had been going on for days
without any warning.

Also, Craig mentioned in the past that this could be due to permission
error and suggested running "sudo -u backuppc rm -rv trash/*" to
check. Well in my case, the 'rm' succeeded suggesting that the problem
may lie elsewhere.

But again, I think there are two issues that need to be fixed:
1. trash_Clean should not be allowed to go into a tight endless loop
(I think Craig had mentioned inserting a wait in the loop but not sure
if it ever was done)
2. Also, errors in trash removal should be logged and added to the
regular email error messages that are sent out.