BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sudden Error during backup

2009-11-17 09:06:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sudden Error during backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:04:13 -0600
Michael Stowe wrote:

>>> The first advice was:
>>>   "The first thing to verify, of course, is that smbclient can connect
>>> using the command line."
>>>
>>> That's the one that matters for smb xfers.  Can you connect with
>>> smbclient to the sharename in question with the same credentials
>>> configured in backuppc?
>> sorry, I forgot to mention that in my list. Either smb client connection
>> has been tested twice, and it works fine when invoked manually, using
>> the same credentials and shares etc.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Stefan
>
> Bizarre!  You're saying that the command line works when you run it, but
> the exact same command line fails when run by backuppc?  This suggests
> your computer has acquired a capricious spirit -- or, something is
> actually different.
>
> What command line are you verifying with smbclient?  Are you actually able
> to retrieve files?

It is actually a bit hard to duplicate the command exactly since backuppc
passes
the credentials in the environment so you don't see them in the logs or in a
ps.
There have been versions of samba that had problems parsing the backuppc
command
line but I've forgotten which ones.  Is there any chance that smbclient has
been
updated on the backuppc server?  And is there any difference if you force an
incremental run instead of a full?