BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] TextFileWrite: Failed to verify /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.new

2009-11-11 02:15:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] TextFileWrite: Failed to verify /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.new
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Michael Mansour <mic AT npgx.com DOT au>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:11:51 -0800
Michael writes:

> TextFileWrite: Failed to verify /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.new
>
> in the browser under the main "Hosts Xfer etc" area.
>
> I check the filesystem and see the file re-created:
>
> # ll conf*
> -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 78506 Nov 10 12:24 config.pl
> -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache     0 Nov 11 17:04 config.pl.new
> -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 76236 Apr 29  2009 config.pl.old
> -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 75640 Jul  4  2008 config.pl.pre-3.1.0
> -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 76236 Jul 19 06:03 config.pl.pre-3.2.0beta0
>
> It seems to me the software tries to verify the config.pl file but can't write
> the file for some reason? (even though the file can be written to the disk?).
>
> It's a strange problem which I think one of the developers who has an
> understanding of the process the "Save" takes would be able to help with.

The writing steps for any text data file in BackupPC (eg: config.pl,
backups, restores etc) is:

 - open config.new for writing

 - write the new file contents

 - close the file

 - open config.new for reading

 - read the contents

 - close the file

 - if the contents match, then rename config.pl to config.pl.old
   and rename config.pl.new to config.pl.

 - otherwise, print the error that you see and leave the
   config.pl.new file as is.

Could the file system be full?

Craig