BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] A small request for future versions

2009-10-17 12:19:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] A small request for future versions
From: Cesar Kawar <kawarmc AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:16:33 +0200
Hi all:

As I know nothing about perl I cannot implement the following feature
I think would be really useful and not dificult to implement.

I'd be great to have a new field under Xfer configuration for each PC
one's backing up where administrator could write a small note on what
the hell is he backing up.

To explain why I see this necesary...

        Imagine a Unix Server with 10 users each with its own home dir full
of mp3, jpegs, and all that crap.
        I, as the admin of the machine only want to backup what's on
everyone's ~/to_be_backed_up. So I will delegate the responsibility of
choosing what's important or not to the owner of the information,
instead of trying to find out what's important or not.
        Basically, I don't want to deal with exclussions of known file
extensions, I want every on of the users to be responsible for their
own data.

        Apart from the user's data, I need to backup things like personal
x509 certificates, maildir of some of the users but not from all of
them, and who knows what else...

        So, I end up having a lot of shares configured on BackupPC for that
host, and most of the time I use rsyncd for the transfer method. Then,
after a couple of months, I don't remember what os backed up and in
case of a total crash of the machine being backed up, I know nothing
of how to recover that data to the correct place.

        Another example: When backing a Mac OS X desktop machine, I want to
safeguard (using rsyncd method) /Library/Scripts and /Users/SomeUser/
Library/Scripts
        The only way I know of diferenciate them is by the rsync module name
which sometimes is not as descriptive as needed.

        So, conclusion: Having a field on the Xfer form of the CGI describing
what are you backing up would be great, and it'd be better have it on
a per share basis.

Thanks to all.

--
Cesar Kawar.