BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] unclean pool

2009-09-30 14:50:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] unclean pool
From: Tony Schreiner <schreian AT bc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:46:09 -0400

On Sep 29, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Tony Schreiner wrote:

On Sep 28, 2009, at 10:00 PM, Holger Parplies wrote:

Hi,

Tony Schreiner wrote on 2009-09-28 20:01:24 -0400 [[BackupPC-users]
unclean pool]:
I have been running low on space on my __topdir__ volume, so several
times in recent weeks, I have moved numbered backup directories to
the
__topdir__/trash folder and removed the appropriate line from the
corresponding backups file.

This has recovered a small amount of space but not nearly as much
as I
expected. Today I looked at the pool directory and found that many
(even
a majority) of the files there have a single link, shouldn't
BackupPC_nightly be removing those?

yes, it should. Is BackupPC_nightly being run (check the log files
under
$LogDir)? What are the values of

$Conf{BackupSchedule}
$Conf{MaxBackupPCNightlyJobs}
$Conf{BackupPCNightlyPeriod}

?

And as a follow up, are those file candidates for me to remove if
they're not being removed properly?

Well, yes, but you really need to fix whatever problem you're having
rather
than get yourself a night job as replacement for
BackupPC_nightly ;-). You'd
also need to take care of pool chain renumbering and preventing
BackupPC_link
from running while you're busy, so it's a bit more difficult than
'find pool cpool -nlinks 1 -exec rm {} \;' ...
1
Regards,
Holger
1

I'm trying to investigate further why my cpool is (apparently) not getting cleaned up.  I'm  looking at the code to BackupPC_nightly, but I admit I'm not the l33test of perl programmers. I wonder if someone familiar with the code can help me a bit.

The GetPoolStatus routine is using the find function (from Lib?) to scan the pool. It appears in my case to enter each of the cpool/X/X directories, but does not appear to go deeper. I'm not clean on what is supposed be happening here.

Tony