BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC host - *using rsync+tarPCCopy*

2009-09-25 14:27:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC host - *using rsync+tarPCCopy*
From: Fernando Laudares Camargos <fernando.laudares AT revolutionlinux DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:23:24 -0400
Hi Les,

Les Mikesell a écrit :
> Fernando Laudares Camargos wrote:
>>
>>     * Why BackupPC_tarPCCopy sometimes produces big tar files ? *
>
> Are you doing something to control the timing of your copies compared to
> the changes backuppc would be making?  The files in cpool need to be
> exactly in sync with the directory snapshots made by BackupPC_tarPCCopy.

I'm doing two things (altough I'm not sure that answer your question correctly):

1) rsync of cpool without --delete (so, cpool will keep growing, no files will
ever be deleted. I assume that's fine apart from the fact it will take more
disk space).

> It sounds like you are hitting at a time with there are still files in
> the 'new' directories that don't have pool links yet, but I'm not sure
> how you can tell when everything is linked.

2) I'm doing 'snapshots' of backup sets BackupPC_tarPCCopy that are 3-5 days
old; I would expect that

"I'm not sure how you can tell when everything is linked": exactly! Neither do
I. But I have the feel that sometimes a backup set will be skipped from being
linked completely, or at least that may happen for new files that are not yet
in the cpool. That would explain my big tar files with BackupPC_tarPCCopy at
least...

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate it.
--
Fernando Laudares Camargos

      Révolution Linux
http://www.revolutionlinux.com
* Tout opinion et prise de position exprimée dans ce message est celle
de son auteur et pas nécessairement celle de Révolution Linux.
** Any views and opinion presented in this e-mail are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of Révolution Linux.