BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Thoughts about today's conversations

2009-09-01 00:11:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Thoughts about today's conversations
From: Stephen Joyce <stephen AT physics.unc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:55:44 -0400 (EDT)
Gentlemen (and Ladies, if any are lurking):

I have one (ok, ok, 4) observations regarding the recent converse on the
list, which you may take or leave. I will not be drawn into your flame-fest
either way:

1. Please be professional. Not only is it considered polite to be
considerate to one another, but your future employer(s) may be reading this
list; it is archived on several sites. Demeaning someone may make you feel
superior for a moment, but can sabotage future job offers, customer
relationships, etc.

2. Think twice before you click send. Seriously. (see point #1)

3. Discussions of why hardlinks are a problem aren't useful. They are a
design choice for BackupPC, and are so central to that design that to
criticize the way BPC uses them should lead you to consider another backup
product (or to your nearest Perl language reference so you may contribute
code, fork the project, etc). If you come up with something with
significant benefits, people will use it.

4. I suggest that this conversation has evolved (devolved?) past the point
where it is useful to continue it on the support (-users) list. Perhaps it
would be better to take disussions of the inner workings of BPC and
feature wishlists to the -devel list instead?

[My opinions are mine, not my employers. They are worth what you paid for
them.]

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce

In pioneer days they used oxen for heavy pulling, and when one ox
couldn't budge a log, they didn't try to grow a larger ox. We
shouldn't be trying for bigger computers, but for more systems of
computers.  --Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

What would you rather have to plow a field: two strong oxen or
1,024 chickens? --Seymour Cray