BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature request: preserve (from deletion) individual backups by number

2009-08-29 22:16:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature request: preserve (from deletion) individual backups by number
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:11:47 -0400
Jon Craig wrote at about 18:36:01 -0400 on Saturday, August 29, 2009:
 > On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Jeffrey J.
 > Kosowsky<backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
 > > Craig Barratt wrote at about 10:48:25 -0700 on Friday, August 28, 2009:
 > >
 > > Perhaps an interesting alternative way to do this without having to go
 > > into the config file (and in a way similar to what a previous
 > > responder mentioned) would be to set up logic so that any backup that
 > > has a 'minus' sign on it would be preserved (along with it's
 > > antecedents).
 > >

 > Excellent idea, but may with to choose something other than "-" as it
 > can cause command line issues with various commands if interpreted as
 > an option rather than a file name.  Appending a ".preserve" would
 > achieve the same thing and leave the backups in sequential order.

Good idea - I think a suffix would be better. But I would go for a
single character suffix rather than something as long as ".preserve"
since otherwise listing gets messy and the suffix tends to take up
more space (and eyeball attention) than the backup number. Perhaps a
trailing '-' or '+' would work.