BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync clients run out of memory

2009-08-14 13:16:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync clients run out of memory
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:12:33 -0500
Richard Hansen wrote:

>>> I'd prefer to use rsync.  Is there any chance BackupPC could use a newer
>>> version of File::RsyncP that supports rsync protocol version 30?
>> This has been discussed many times on the list - please see the
>> archives.
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers to previous discussions.  SourceForge's
> search is inadequate, and an hour spent at gmane.org did not turn up
> anything of interest.

I don't think there is a good answer - other than more RAM - if that is
what you were searching for.

>> Bottom line is that the memory issue seems to be solved in rsync 3.0
>> even though protocol < 30 is used.
>
> Apparently not -- both of my clients already have rsync 3.0.5 installed,
> yet rsync is causing them to run out of memory.  The clients have 4 to 6
> million (largely redundant) files each.  It appears that I need the
> incremental-recursion feature of protocol 30 to back up this many files.

If they are grouped in several subdirectories, you could break the
backups into separate runs.  If they are all in one directory, even
protocol 30 probably won't help.

>> Upgrading to version 30 is a *big*
>> deal and would likely require significant rewrite of
>> perl-File-RsyncP.
>
> That's unfortunate.  If I can't find an existing backup program that
> suits my needs, I'll try to find the time to update it.

Using tar as the xfer method would avoid the issue with the tradeoff
that you use more bandwidth for full runs and don't reflect changes
quite as accurately in increments.