BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] patch for auto-detection of Bonjour (apple) clients for 3.2

2009-08-13 15:18:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] patch for auto-detection of Bonjour (apple) clients for 3.2
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:14:51 -0400
James Kyle wrote at about 12:00:46 -0700 on Thursday, August 13, 2009:
 > I patched BackupPC_dump to look for bonjour clients. My apologies if
 > this is not the most correct way to do so.
 >
 > What this allows is:
 >
 > If you have an apple client with hostname foo and Bonjour name
 > foo.local, you can enter the client's name as "foo" and backuppc_dump
 > will auto-detect its bonjour name.
 >
 > This makes it so that your clients don't have to run an smb service if
 > you don't want to without redundantly entering .local for all your
 > clients.
 >
 > untyped binary data: patch-bin-backuppc_dump.diff [save to a file]

I'm not sure I would want this patch rolled into the sources since all
it really does is check 'hostname'.local and assumes if it exist then
it must be a Bonjour name. But in *nix world, 'foohost.local' itself is a
valid name which may or may not be related to 'foohost'. So this in
general seems more like a hack than a robust, general solution.

I'm not sure what the problem is with just appending '.local' to the
names of Bonjour hosts in the Backuppc 'hosts' file. Alternatively,
just create the aliases in the /etc/hosts file or equivalents.