BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Backup fails

2009-08-13 06:47:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Backup fails
From: Pedro Oliveira <pedro.oliveira AT dri DOT pt>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:45:04 +0100
Also check if your /mnt /media have something monted on them like external usb
devices, dvds or cds.
Cheers,
Pedro

On Thursday 13 August 2009 11:34:26 Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:20:20PM +0200, Michael Aram wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > thank you for your answers. I changed the backupcommand (added -q) and got
> > rid of the first error. Thanks.
> >
> > However unfortunately, my backupserver wasnt able to successfully backup my
> > remote machine.
> >
> > I have to mention, that I want to backup ~100GB over a "normal 25MBit" xDSL
> > connection over the internet. It use the rsync (not rsynd) between two
> > ubuntu machines.
> >
> > The backup always fails after a couple of hours with signal "PIPE". I think
> > the machine being backed up just resets the connection or something. How can
> > I detect the reason for the problem? There is no /var/log/rsync.log or
> > something on the remote machine.
>
> [...]
>
> > Negotiated protocol version 28
> > Sent exclude: /proc
> > Sent exclude: /tmp
> > Xfer PIDs are now 10929,11621
> > [ skipped 114214 lines ]
> > sys/block/md0/dev: md4 doesn't match: will retry in phase 1; file removed
> >
> > Remote[1]: rsync: read errors mapping "/sys/block/md0/dev": No data
> > available (61)
>
> You should exclude /sys and /proc from backup - these are virtual file
> systems anyway. Rsync might copy your whole harddisk (block devices),
> kernel image etc.
>
> HTH!
>
> Tino.

Pedro M. S. Oliveira                  Pólo Tecnológico de Lisboa
IT Consultant                            Estrada do Paço do Lumiar, Lote 1
Email: pedro.oliveira AT dri DOT pt       Sala 14 – 1600-546 Lisboa
Telefone: +351 21 715 30 55      Fax: +351 21 715 30 57