BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Switching from gzip to bzip2

2009-08-10 13:11:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Switching from gzip to bzip2
From: Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:07:03 -0400
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 08:36, Nate T<naterwork AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Will switching from gzip to bzip2 do bad things to the existing cpool?

I don't think it's possible to "switch" to bzip2... BackupPC will use
gzip-like compression, which is not exactly like gzip but similar to
it.

If you have spare CPU and want to compress harder, you can tune the
compression level of backups in your config.pl, IIRC it's set to "3"
by default, you can use "6" (default for gzip) or "9" (stronger
compression) or anything in between, those will use more CPU and
compress better.

AFAIK, the existing files in your cpool will not be recompressed, so
until they are phased out (removed from the original machines) I don't
think they will be replaced by a copy that is more compressed... I'm
not aware of a script that goes through an existing cpool
recompressing the files, but there might indeed be one that does that.

HTH,
Filipe