BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] exclude file problem

2009-07-31 04:16:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] exclude file problem
To: simon AT kmun.gov DOT kw, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:11:47 +1000

Benedict simon wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am new to backuppc and jus installed and been backuing up 2 windows
> machines at the start
> backuppc is a lovely piece of software.
> now i did backup also succesfully one of my linux server(its my mail and
> dns server)
>
> now it does a backup fine but i do get xtransfer errors in the below
>
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -p 2222 -l root kmdns1 /usr/bin/rsync --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive . /var/named/
> Xfer PIDs are now 30732
> Got remote protocol 30
> Negotiated protocol version 28
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/var/named/chroot/proc/2/exe"
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/var/named/chroot/proc/2/task/2/exe"
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/var/named/chroot/proc/3/exe"
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/var/named/chroot/proc/3/task/3/exe"
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/var/named/chroot/proc/4/exe"
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/var/named/chroot/proc/4/task/4/exe"
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/var/named/chroot/proc/5/exe"
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/var/named/chroot/proc/5/task/5/exe
>
> ---------
> now after googling arround i found how i could exclude the directory
> "/var/named/chroot/proc/
> since i dont wanna backup the proc directory
>
> part of my pc conf file is here below
>
> $Conf{RsyncShareName} = [
>   '/home',
>   '/etc',
>   '/var/mail',
>   '/var/named',
>   '/var/www/html
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>         '*' => [
>   '/var/named/chroot/proc'
> ]
> };

Personally, I make the following change instead:
$Conf{RsyncArgs} = [
            '--numeric-ids',
            '--perms',
            '--owner',
            '--group',
            '--devices',
            '--links',
            '--times',
            '--block-size=2048',
            '--recursive',
            '--checksum-seed=32761',
            '--one-file-system',
            '-D',
            '--bwlimit=64',
];

ie, remove the backupfilesexclude, and instead set rsyncargs, in
particular, the option that is useful here is "--one-file-system"
because any proc will always be a different filesystem. However, if you
have a number of different mountpoints (different drives) then you will
need to specify each mount point you need to backup in RsyncShareName.

You can copy the default rsyncargs from your config.pl and add the
modified version to your clienthost.pl or else just modify it in the
config.pl directly.

Regards,
Adam

- --