BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync / rsyncd / samba: more information (dis/advantages) of different transfer mechanisms

2009-07-29 06:13:27
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync / rsyncd / samba: more information (dis/advantages) of different transfer mechanisms
From: phil <phil AT backup-and-restore DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:12:24 +0200
Hello,

even when I'm running backuppc successfully on two servers and doing
backups of linux and windows clients, I still haven't fully understand
the dis(advantages) of rsync / rsyncd / samba regarding security.

I would like to see a short table chowing the advantages and
disadvantages of using the different possibilities.

What is the benefit of using rsyncd vs. rsync via ssh? I've read several
times that rsyncd is less secure because it transfer the files
unencrypted and because it opens another door for intruders.

So what is the prefered method for linux / windows clients, _if_ I do
_not_ look at what is the easiest way to configure my client but the
most secure.

I try to summarize what I (think to) know:

SAMBA:

+ easy to setup, since C$ shares are already there for the administrator
+ no configuration on the client side
- unencrypted transfer (?)
- can not send incremental changes of files

RSYNC:

+ easier to setup than rsyncd
+ transfer incremental changes (?)
+ encrypted transfer via ssh

RSYNCD:

? what is the advantage when using rsyncd in favor of rsync?

Kind regards from Berlin

- p hil