BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ZFS/Nexenta Ready

2009-07-14 08:17:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ZFS/Nexenta Ready
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:11:31 +0100
Hi,
I agree with you Dan,
I'm a Linux/Solaris admin for several years now and this las weekend I was working on large migration on a telco, it is  the production machine for billing, traffic analysis and so on. I'm talking about a machine with 64 processors and 128 GB RAM. If you want you may see more about this in http://www.linux-geex.com/?p=47 (although the theme is not the migration itself).
I'm also a fan of ZFS... better saying I was a fan of ZFS.
ZFS performs very poorly in comparison to VeritasFS (didn't compare with UFS because they are too distinct), database writing was lousy, although we had gains in reading, that was to be expected, the system gained a new faster storage, double RAM and double processors, so if it wasn't faster it would be a disaster.
I had already used backuppc with ZFS in a 3 TB pool and it wasn't faster either, but as I was using FS compression I thought it was coming from there.
Right now SUN support is working on ZFS on the server I was writing about but on the table all options are open now including getting back the whole production system to Veritas.

Another thing is that ZFS is taking the kernel processor usage (at some points not all the time) over 50-60% and this for a minute or two and that is not good at all. About the RAM usage, ZFS is limited to 20 GB ram so it doesn't spread around the different boards (this could be bad in case of hardware failure) and even with 20GB available only to FS... it's using it all.

To be sincere I was a bit disappointed, I've been using ZFS on several smaller servers, but after this I'm not that happy.
I'm hoping SUN can help us out with this one, patching is on the way lets hope it works.
I don't recommend you to migrate your servers right away to ZFS, as I've seen it may work very well, but it can also be miserable.
Cheers,
Pedro