BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and File::RsyncP and Akamai

2009-07-13 13:31:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and File::RsyncP and Akamai
From: Nate Carlson <natecars AT natecarlson DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:09:03 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Holger Parplies wrote:
> I don't think there is, and I doubt there ever will be - if Craig
> updates File::RsyncP, then I'd guess he'll update it to protocol version
> 30. While rsync is supposed to be downward compatible to lower protocol
> versions, I don't know if File::RsyncP is.

*nods*.. I wonder how much would be involved in actually updating it.

> Does creating a local copy with rsync 3.0 work? What if you force the
> protocol to 28 ("--protocol=28")? Are you sure the output is generated
> by rsync and not (partly) by some rc files? Can you log in with ssh and
> run anything except rsync? Perhaps 'man rsync'? :) Maybe you can switch
> off the output somehow ... you could try things like "--out-format=''"
> or "--quiet" if you can't find anything more appropriate (and I'd test
> with command line rsync first, not with BackupPC).

Interestingly, yes, doing real rsync with protocol 28 does work ok.
Possibly different interactions between rsync itself and File::RsyncP I
suppose.

The way Akamai does it, I do not have access to specify a remote command.

I'll have to open a ticket up with them and see if there's anything they
can do to help..  ;)

Thanks!