BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Redirecting backup to 2nd drive

2009-07-03 00:44:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Redirecting backup to 2nd drive
From: Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 23:25:59 -0400
BackupPC relies on hard links to affect its de-duping magic.  As such,
the spool space must be one large filesystem.  With your setup you
would need to use LVM to concatenate the two physical volumes into a
single logical volume.  You would then create your filesystem on this
volume and use it for BackupPC.  This should be well covered in
documentation and the list archives.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Les Mikesell<les AT futuresource DOT com> wrote:
> Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>> My backuppc server has 2 HDs. Up to the present I have been backing up all
>> machines to one drive. But now I am adding a machine to backup and want
>> it's backups to go to the 2nd HD. My original idea was to just create a
>> symbolic link for the new machine under the pc directory where all the
>> backups are.
>> However I get an error to the effect:
>> Can't create a test hardlink between a file in
>> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/[newmachine] and /var/lib/backuppc/cpool.  Either
>> these are different file systems, or this file system doesn't support
>> hardlinks, or these directories don't exist, or there is a permissions
>> problem, or the file system is out of inodes or full.  Use df, df -i, and
>> ls -ld to check each of these possibilities. Quitting...
>>
>> So I am wondering if there is a different/better way to approach this.
>
> Have you read the top link on this page?
> http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/Tips+and+Tricks
> You can move the whole archive but not just part of it.
>

> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

Jonathan Craig