BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How BackupPC determines which host should make the next backup

2009-06-25 16:11:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How BackupPC determines which host should make the next backup
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:06:02 -0500
Matthias Meyer wrote:
> Assumed I have 10 hosts and the maximum number of simultaneous backups to
> run is 5.
> Further assumed all 10 hosts have to make a backup today.
> 4 of them have theire last backup made 2 days ago and 3 of them yesterday.
> 2 have a partial backup and 1 have no backup.
> 9 hosts are reachable (ping) the last times but 1 host not. Therefore the
> BlackoutPeriods for 9 hosts can be applied by backuppc and for 1 host not.
> Nevertheless the time now is not within this blackout period.
>
> Which 5 hosts will request theire backups?
>
> Will BackupPC try the hosts in alphabetical order?
> Or will BackupPC use informations about the oldest backup and try this hosts
> at first?

The first cut will be which ones have reached their backup interval
(since the last backup) at each wakeup time.  That is, at each wakeup it
will consider only the set that is not within a blackout and has passed
the interval time since it's last run - and these will not start if the
ping test fails.  I'm not sure who wins if there are more choices at one
time than your concurrency limit allows - it might just be the order in
the host list.  I just start one early from the web interface if I want
to push it ahead.