BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] why hard links?

2009-06-02 13:37:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] why hard links?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 12:32:14 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

>  > Collisions aren't quite the point - you have to manage that anyway.  The
>  > hard part is knowing that the final target you link to is the one that
>  > you wanted, not a something created simultaneously by a different
>  > process doing the same computations, and knowing that the count of
>  > existing links always matches the actual copies.  The kernel manages
>  > this automatically when using links.  If you have to add an extra system
>  > call to lock/unlock around some other operation you'll triple the overhead.
>
> I'm not sure how you definitively get to the number "triple". Maybe
> more maybe less.

Ummm, link(), vs. lock(),link(),unlock() equivalents, looks like 3x the
operations to me - and at least the lock/unlock parts have to involve
system calls even if you convert the link operation to something else.

> Les - I'm really not sure why you seem so intent on picking apart a
> database approach.

I'm not. I'm encouraging you to show that something more than black
magic is involved.  Databases sort-of work for some things.  They aren't
particularly better at storing files than a filesystem.  If they were,
we wouldn't use filesystems for anything.  You've made a bunch of claims
about how a database might be better, but so far have not provided any
evidence to back it up.

> I can understand someone arguing that it would take
> too much effort to implement but I don't see the point of challenging
> the workability of a database approach, particularly when most high
> end enterprise backup systems do just exactly that (and for good
> reason!).

One of the 'good reasons' is that most of those systems were designed
for an OS that didn't have a decent filesystem at the time...