BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "Full" backup

2009-05-23 02:41:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "Full" backup
From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT theingots DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 08:38:01 +0200
Holger Parplies wrote:
> 1.) That is what you are requesting BackupPC to do.
>     If you want your backups to depend on a different reference point
>     than the previous full backup, you can use IncrLevels. An incremental
>     backup *can* miss changes. That is highly unlikely with rsync but
>     remains possible. With increasing level, chances increase. So, doing
>     *exactly* as requested makes sense.
>     As with any backup scheme, only full backups are completely reliable.

How can it miss changes? How do full backups fix it?

> 2.) Backup dependencies
>     A level 1 backup cannot depend on any other level 1 backup (because this
>     other backup can - and probably will - expire first).

This is something else I don't understand. Why does it create
dependencies? I thought BackupPC did something functionally equivalent
to my hand-links method. With my method, I can safely delete any daily
backup with full confidence that the others won't be affected, as I'm
just deleting hard links. As long as a block of data has at least one
hard link pointing to it (ie. as long as I need it) the file will be
safe. I thought that BackupPC did something that was functionally
equivalent with its pooling thing.

Daniel.