BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd over ssh

2009-05-21 21:07:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd over ssh
From: Daniel Harvey <daniel AT amristar.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 08:35:21 +0800
Hi Jeffrey,

At the risk of spamming the list again, I apologise. I only joined the
list and the "forum" immediately before the post. And, I agree that I
*thought* "this is a topic-based forum rather than a mailing list" - I
went to www.backupcentral.com, selected the menu "Forums" and them "Open
Source BackupPC" - it looked like a forum to me. Now I know :-)

Anyway, the (mailing list) post I was referring to was

which relates to running BackupPC using rsync's "daemon" mode tunnelled
over SSH.

I've since got Joe's modifications which enable this and I'll let you
know how I get on. FYI, the key issue for me is that I want to tunnel
over SSH, but am not happy to allow un-checked root access to the target
machine(s) - rsync's "daemon" mode tunnelled over SSH is a good balance.

Cheers,
Daniel.