BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] SMB vs RSYNCD

2009-05-15 15:28:13
Subject: [BackupPC-users] SMB vs RSYNCD
From: "Robert J. Phillips" <rphillips AT garden-city DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 14:10:14 -0500

When I first started using BackupPC I was letting the backups happen with SMB.  I have since found and figured out how to make it work the process to use vshadow and rsyncd.

I think now that I understand the vshadow command that I could use vshadow and SMB.

What are the advantages/disadvantages between SMB and RSYNCD?

That is my question and now if I could give you my kudo’s.  I was looking at similar products on the market and was looking at tying up $70k in hardware and software.  I am not at 100% yet (some issues with Windows 2000) but I am extremely please with BackupPC.  I built a computer with Quad Intel processors, 4gb of ram, and 1 250gb hdd and 4 1tb hdd in a raid five configuration.  I am backing up almost 2.5 tb but it is only using 1.2 tb of hard drive space.  The interface to restore or backup is so easy to use.  Great work.