BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] A scheduling question

2009-04-20 08:29:36
Subject: [BackupPC-users] A scheduling question
From: Schley Andrew Kutz <sakutz AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:23:56 -0500
Please pardon my ignorance. I have always been dense when it comes to
backups, and I am hoping that someone can simply tell me the
appropriate schedule for what I want to do. I basically want to mimic
Apple's Time Machine settings. I want an initial full backup and then
simply a backup of changed files every X amount of time (their
interval is hourly, mine would be daily). I don't want old backups
deleted until the drive begins to run out of space. Time Machine keeps
hourly backups for 24 hours and then rolls them into a 24 hour backup.
It keeps 7 24 hour back-ups (a weeks worth), and then rolls them into
weekly backups. Is this possible with BackupPC?

Right now it has the default settings. Also, as I understand things, a
BackupPC full backup is only the files that have changed since the
last full backup. My question is then why do incremental backups, why
not just always do full backups. Is it because of the method to
determine if a file has changed? Timestamp vs. block checksum in Rsync
for example?

--
-a

"Ideally, a code library must be immediately usable by naive
developers, easily customized by more sophisticated developers, and
readily extensible by experts." -- L. Stein