BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC, rsync and ssh

2009-04-08 03:21:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC, rsync and ssh
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: BackupPC Users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:16:05 +0300
Hi!

> What should I put in the $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} parameter?

Just keep the default, or add a -C for compression if you want.

> I’m trying to switch from rsnapshot (tunneled with ssh) to backuppc,
> still using ssh to tunnel rsync. I stumbled across
> http://ehnberg.net/johan/files/docs/backuppc-ssh-tunnel-howto.html
> and was about to change my config.pl, when I stopped and wanted to
> ask you about the XferMethod. You don’t mention it in your howto, but
> how do I have to set it? Is “rsync” the right choice? I guess yes,
> but please give me confirmation and eventually update your howto...
> ;-)

Actually it should be possible to use any protocol. However, because of
a bug that only now is being fixed, Windows clients with SSH server and
rsync have not been possible. Instead, it is necessary to use SSH server
and rsyncd, which I have made the default for the HOWTO. Linux clients
can use rsync. Again, other methods should work as well, but I have not
tried.

> As I’m writing to you, I’d like to have your advice about my
> migration. Following is the command I’m using with rsnapshot:
>
> ssh -f administrator AT remotehost DOT com -L 8875:127.0.0.1:873 sleep 10;
> rsnapshot -c /root/snap.conf daily > /var/log/rsnapshot/snap.log
>
> As you can see, I’m opening an SSH tunnel and keep it open with
> “sleep 10”, so I can start rsnapshot in it. It’s “unwrapped” command
> is:
>
> /usr/bin/rsync -rtv --port=8875 --delete --ignore-errors
> --numeric-ids --delete-excluded --stats --progress
> localhost::Profili/
>
> Do you think I can achieve the same with BackupPC? The
> “remotehost.com” is a Windows 2003 Server, on which I’m running
> copSSH (ssh server) and cwRsync (rsync daemon) and I simply opened
> the SSH port, not any other port (no 873 for rsync).

You mean you opened only the SSH port at some firewall, and the rsyncd
port is open for loopback (localhost) connections, i assume? This is
exactly the kind of setup my HOWTO is designed for by default. "CLIENT"
in the HOWTO is then the same "127.0.0.1" as you are using now. You
should be able to start using BackupPC alongside your current
configuration, and complete the migration when you are happy with the
results.

> Any help/advice will be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance and kind regards,
>
> Flavio Boniforti
>
> PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL Via Ballerini 21 6600 Locarno Switzerland
> Phone: +41 91 751 68 81 Fax: +41 91 751 69 14 Url:
> _http://www.piramide.ch _E-mail: [email protected]_--

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I will update the HOWTO
accordingly around the time when BackupPC 3.2.0 is released.

Good luck!

Johan

--
Johan Ehnberg