BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] file name mangling and unmangling

2009-03-13 08:55:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] file name mangling and unmangling
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 07:45:59 -0500
Pramathesh Ambasta wrote:

> The reason why I asked this question in the first place - I am currently
> using backuppc to backup to an external hard drive. The drive is
> attached to a file/print server (Ubunut 8.04) which runs samba+cups
> *and* also backuppc.
>
> If the server crashes, how do I get to the files in the external drive?
> I mean, how do I unmangle the file names to quickly restore the files to
> some other machine so that work goes on before I get to repair the
> server/ get another one?
>
> Maybe there isn't a way except to keep the servers separate?

The obvious way would be to have a similar backuppc installation on
another machine where you could mount your external drive.  You might be
able to set up a dual boot or boot from a USB device if you normally run
some other OS.  Virtualbox/vmware/parallels might even be usable these
days - I'm not sure what speeds you can get though USB to them.  But,
keep in mind that the drive is probably more likely to break than the
rest of the server.