BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Nightly Backups are not running

2009-03-05 18:00:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Nightly Backups are not running
From: Ruslan Sivak <russ AT vshift DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 17:57:20 -0500
Hans Fugal wrote:
> I just got here, but I'm having a similar issue and I think I may know
> the problem, but not how to fix it.
>
> I have the similar situation: DHCP host without DNS but nmblookup works
> fine. I can do manual backups just fine but no automatic backups are
> happening. The host status is "pings to saruman failed 45 times".
>
> I can't tell why it's failing, but I suspect there's a chicken/egg bug.
>
> The docs say:
>
> 1. For each host and DHCP address backup requests are queued on the
> background command queue.
>
> 2. For each PC, BackupPC_dump is forked. Several of these may be run in
> parallel, based on the configuration. First a ping is done to see if the
> machine is alive. If this is a DHCP address, nmblookup is run to get the
> netbios name, which is used as the host name. If DNS lookup fails,
> $Conf{NmbLookupFindHostCmd} is run to find the IP address from the host
> name. The file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/$host/backups is read to decide
> whether a full or incremental backup needs to be run. If no backup is
> scheduled, or the ping to $host fails, then BackupPC_dump exits.
>
> There is a lot of ambiguity here, but as I read it this is what *should*
> happen in our situation:
>
> wake up
> try to ping host
>   try DNS (fail)
>   find host with nmblookup (succeed)
>   ping IP address
>
> But I'm not convinced it is doing the nmblookup before trying to ping. I
> can't seem to get to any debug output to find out just what is failing,
> but I can verify that ping by IP and nmblookup both work fine.

I highly doubt it's using nmblookup as it's supposed to, but I got
around that by putting the ips of the hosts in /etc/hosts

I can verify that backups run fine from command line by doing

/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_dump -v -f backupclient

They just don't start automatically for some reason.

Russ