BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up over the Internet

2009-02-19 20:28:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up over the Internet
From: phil <phil AT backup-and-restore DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:25:12 +0100
Hi Dan,

thanks for dropping in SSH-tunnels (and myentunnel, didn't knew it
before). Of course your setup will be easier to setup than using a vpn.

While reading, I got the feeling that using a ssh tunnel could solve
another problem I've got with one client:

We habe a notebook that is sometimes in the office but most times
out-of-the-office.
The problem is that this machine get two different IP-adresses:
One when beeing in the office and the other when connected via VPN.

I was struggling how to backup this machine, since backuppc had to deal
with two different IP-adresses for one host.

Your idea and of this wiki should get the job done:

http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/How+to+backup+through+an+SSH+tunnel

(just a short info for the mailinglist-archives)

- ph il