BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and Windows/ Cygwin clients via ssh/ rsync

2009-02-16 19:11:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and Windows/ Cygwin clients via ssh/ rsync
From: royden yates <royden.yates AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:05:53 +0100
On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 18:50 -0500, Cody Dunne wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David Christensen wrote:
> >     Regular rsync over SSH doesn't work between Linux and Windows/Cygwin
> >     boxes because of a bug fixed in rsync 3.0
>
> The following line says the problem still remains with BackupPC, though.
> I'm not sure if plain rsync 3.0/ssh works over cygwin, but it definitely
> doesn't with BackupPC, which uses the File::RsyncP perl module which
> uses the older protocol 28 instead of 30. Maybe someone who knows more
> about it could tell us if it was fixed, and I can update the guide.
>
> > If I rebuild the box using Debian 5, should BackupPC work for Windows/
> > Cygwin via ssh/ rsync?
>
> No, see above.
>
> Cody

The traditional problem with Backuppc and cygwin of a rsync over ssh
freeze on any sizeable back up has disappeared with Cygwin and rsync
3.0.3 and greater, as one can get a completed run. I had machines that
always failed and that now complete.  There are however seemingly big
file issues (eg. *.pst files of ca. 2 gigs or so (VSS copied to temp
directory so file locking is not the issue!)) that strike me not on the
initial full which completes, but on subsequent incremental runs when
the exchange of differential info hangs.

So I guess it is a case of YMMV.

Royden