BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] restore fails (ssh+rsync) - "rsync: lseek returned -1, not 3586700345344: Invalid argument (22)"

2009-02-09 07:18:39
Subject: [BackupPC-users] restore fails (ssh+rsync) - "rsync: lseek returned -1, not 3586700345344: Invalid argument (22)"
From: Msquared <1.sub.backuppc AT msquared.id DOT au>
To: BackupPC Users List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:15:57 +0900
Hi!

I'm trying to restore a file via the web interface, but the log file shows
this:

  Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root sliderule.msquared.net.au /usr/bin/rsync
--server --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times
--block-size=2048 --relative --ignore-times --recursive --bwlimit=20 --compress
. /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/
  Xfer PIDs are now 31034
  Got remote protocol 29
  Negotiated protocol version 28
  Sending /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/cristy.pref (remote=/cristy.pref) type = 0
    restore   600     48/48        1664 /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/cristy.pref
  Remote[1]: rsync: lseek returned -1, not 3586700345344: Invalid argument (22)
  Remote[1]: rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at fileio.c(231)
[receiver=2.6.8]
  Remote[1]: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (43 bytes received so far)
[generator]
  Remote[1]: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(463) [generator=2.6.8]
  Read EOF:
  Tried again: got 0 bytes
  Done: 1 files, 1664 bytes
  restore failed: Unable to read 4 bytes

This is actually the first time I've tried to use BackupPC's restore feature -
normally I'd just download the file from the web interface then do what I need
to do with it, but this time I'm restoring to a remote machine, and using the
web interface's restore would be easier.  :-)

I've checked that I can download the file directly via the web
interface, so that part seems to work OK.

I've googled for the various parts of the error message that I think
might show something, but nothing seems to come up.

I've also checked the troubleshooting section of the BackupPC FAQ, but
there's notthing about troubleshooting restore problems.

The backup server is CentOS 5.2 with BackupPC 3.1.0, and the server I'm
trying to restore to is also CentOS 5.2.

What's my next step for troubleshooting?

Regards, Msquared...