BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Exclude directory based on dot file?

2009-01-26 22:41:17
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Exclude directory based on dot file?
From: Reid Rivenburgh <reidr AT pobox DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:38:58 -0700
Hi.  I hope this isn't a FAQ....  I'm using BackupPC to backup a linux
system to an external drive using rsync.  It works nicely.  I have
some large data files that don't need backing up, though.  I was
wondering if it's possible to exclude (prune) directories by doing
something like putting a dot-file (".DONT_BACKUP") in them.  That
would make it easy to flag directories on the fly as not needing to be
backed up.  I understand I can edit the config file and place an entry
in BackupFilesExclude; this would just be a convenience.  (It might be
more than a convenience for people who don't have root access.)

Thanks,
Reid