BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Ownership preservation

2009-01-23 04:25:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Ownership preservation
From: Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:22:57 +0100
I have been playing around and checking, and found that I have a problem
with perserving ownership (only group ownership tested) (presently using
rsyncd transfer method).

Testing ownership preservation:
- create a file "dummy" in my home directory of a client
- chgrp tty dummy (had been created with owner=group=harms)
- incremental backup (which includes a home directory share)
- rm dummy
- in /etc/rsyncd.conf set readonly = false for my home directory share
- CGI direct restore of the file dummy
- ls dummy gives owner and group as harms - but group should be tty

What may I have done wrong in my setup? I checked the evident:
$Conf{RsyncArgs} and $Conf{RsyncRestoreArgs} contain --owner and
--group. Is there a way to see the command that backuppc effectively
launches when it starts a backup, a restore operation (I think to
remember having seen that somewhere)? - a first thing to clarify would
be to see whether ownership is incorrectly saved at backup, or whether
it gets wrong during restore)

When, for restoring, I select "download a tar-file", also the tar-file
has the wrong group ownership - that is probably an indication that
things go wrong already when the backup is made.