BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Large Amounts of Data

2009-01-05 18:42:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Large Amounts of Data
From: Christopher Derr <cmderr AT ucdavis DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:39:43 -0800
We're a mid-sized university academic department and are fairly happy
with our current BackupPC setup.  We currently backup an 800 GB
fileserver (which has an iSCSI-attached drive), a few other sub-300 GB
fileservers, a bunch of XP desktops.  The 800 GB fileserver takes a long
time to back up...almost a full day, and I think this is normal for
BackupPC.  We'd like to use BackupPC to backup some of our heftier linux
servers -- moving into the multiple terabyte range (5-10 TB).  We're
considering a ZFS filesystem over gigabit for our backup target, but
obviously are concerned that backing up 5 TB of data would take a week.

Is this where we should consider multiple BackupPC servers to break up
the backup time?  Should we move to a solution with less overhead (if
there is one)?  Thanks for any input or experiences.

Chris