BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Reduce BackupPC_nightly to weekly?

2009-01-05 10:05:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Reduce BackupPC_nightly to weekly?
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Holger Parplies" <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 08:02:44 -0700
Hard to argue with that.

Is there any documentation on exactly what the nightly run does(as it the process step by step) for those of use that dont read perl?

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

dan wrote on 2008-12-28 20:10:20 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Reduce BackupPC_nightly to weekly?]:
> [...]
> I wonder how long a weekly cleanup job would take verses a daily?

insignificantly longer. The difficult part is traversing the pool, not
deleting files and renumbering chains. Sure, deleting large numbers of big
files is going to take a while on some file systems, but you don't do more
than the sum of what you would otherwise do daily. You save 6 traversals of
the pool, though. For reference, I measured about 15 minutes for the traversal
of a 103 GB pool (not with BackupPC_nightly, but with a similar algorithm,
also implemented in Perl). Saving 90 minutes of heavy disk I/O per week does
not sound like a bad thing. I would expect the same savings from an
appropriate setting of $Conf{BackupPCNightlyPeriod} though. Spreading out the
load evenly over several days is probably a better idea in most cases than
doing all the work on one day per week (or one out of eight days).

Currently, the maximum value for BackupPCNightlyPeriod is 16. I don't see why
this couldn't be extended to allow the values 32, 64, 128 and 256. The pool
structure would even allow for values upto 4096, but I very much doubt
anything above, maybe, 64 makes any sense.

Regards,
Holger