BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Starting Out Questions for Debian and Windows backups

2009-01-04 19:41:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Starting Out Questions for Debian and Windows backups
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:39:10 +1100

Mark Phillips wrote:
> I just setup backuppc 3.1.0 on a Debian system I am using it to backup
> several Debian machines and one Windows XP (using rsyncd and cygwin from
> the Backuppc Sourceforge site). I ran into a few issues that prompted
> some questions:
>
> 1. Windows XP SP2 backup using cygwin-rsyncd-2.6.8_0
>
> I had to set strict modes = false to get rsync to work on the Windows
> machine (running as a service). If not, I got an authorization error.
> Since rsyncd is running as a service, the notes said I have to make the
> secrets file readable only by the SYSTEM account. How do I do that? I
> was logged in as an administrator, and I clicked on the properties for
> the secrets file and made it read only. That did not work. I googled for
> some info on SYSTEM user for XP, but I never found a solution.

This is only possible on MS Windows XP Pro, XP Home doesn't have these
options. You will need to right click on the file, click properties,
then click Security, and then adjust the properties for the individual
users.

> 2. What files should NOT be backed up on a Debian Linux machine?
>
> I originally set BackupFilesExclude = /proc, /mnt, /dev, /cdrom,
> /floppy, /lost+found, /media, /var/lib/backuppc, and then started a full
> backup. I got lots of errors (~10,000), and the log file shows most of
> them (all - too many to count!) were confined to /sys. Should /sys be
> excluded as well? I am not enough of a Debian/Linux guru to know if this
> is a directory I should exclude or not. It seems that it should be
> excluded based on what I have read about it, but I just wanted to check
> with the experts. Are there any other directories that should be
> excluded from a "normal" Debian installation? Some of the machines are
> servers for tomcat/apache, some are desktop machines running X.

Personally, I add --one-file-system to rsync, and then just backup all
my filesystems. This automatically avoids devfs, /sys, /proc, etc...
Sometimes I also exclude /var/logs, but there are some advantages to
backing this dir up. I do also exclude /var/lib/mysql, but I have a
script which dumps the DB, and these dump files are backed up.

> 3. Are there any Windows directories that should be excluded from a
> backup? The Windows machine is not a server, just a desktop with users.

Again, it depends on if the system is XP Pro or XP Home... XP Pro has
vshadow support, (search the mailing list, someone posted scripts on how
to use that with backuppc etc in december).

However, I wouldn't consider backuppc to be able to restore a 100%
working machine, but I do tell backuppc to 'attempt' to backup ALL files
anyway. I don't yet use the vshadow stuff, but at least I know I will
have *ALL* user data files that I might need. Windows programs have bad
habits of putting data files/etc in random locations all over the place.
Documents & Settings is not sufficient for most people. (From memory,
even Outlook Express stores it's information under C:\windows somewhere...)

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Adam