BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] can't find ip address

2008-12-25 18:41:22
Subject: [BackupPC-users] can't find ip address
From: Anand Gupta <anandiwp AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 05:08:41 +0530
Hi,

I am using backuppc in a dhcp environment and while setting up a windows client, i am facing problems with backuppc. Its not able to detect the ip address of the machine.

In the client address, i place the machine name comp-076, using method rsyncd, list all the shares properly.

When i try to force backuppc to do a full backup, i see the following error.

Error: Can't find IP address for comp-076

comp-076 is a DHCP host, and I don't know its IP address. I checked the netbios name of x.x.x.x, and found that that machine is not comp-076.

Until I see comp-076 at a particular DHCP address, you can only start this request from the client machine itself.

Now when i try to lookup the dhcp address myself on the command line (as user backuppc), i get the reply properly

nmblookup comp-076
querying comp-076 on 172.20.255.255
172.20.196.251 comp-076<00>

Now i am confused here, when i can get the ip address using command line, why can't backuppc find the ip address ?

Any help on this will be appreciated.

--
Thanks and Regards,

Anand