BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC-users Digest, Vol 32, Issue 72 (archive to tape)

2008-12-24 13:58:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC-users Digest, Vol 32, Issue 72 (archive to tape)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:56:56 -0600
Ray Todd Stevens wrote:
> Interesting.   First the tar thing definitely did not work.

Can you write a tar tape directly to the device and read it back?  Tar
normally writes (and reads) in 10k blocks and many tape devices are
sensitive to the block size in that accesses must match or be an exact
multiple of the block size set with 'mt' and the read size must match
the size of the write for the same data.   I don't think backuppc deals
with blocking at all, so if you need it and have intermediate space you
might write to a file instead, then later copy it to tape with dd using
obs=10k as an option.  Or just generate the tar image with the command
line tool BackupPC_tarCreate and pipe through dd to get the obs=10k
option as you write to tape.

> Second it sure might be good to have this in the documentation.

It is very much operating system and hardware dependent.

> It might be even cooler to
> have a restore from tape function as a part of the application.

Most of the point of making an archive in tar format is that you don't
need a special application to restore it.  Any copy of tar should be
able to extract the files.  If you have backuppc running, most of the
time you would want to restore directly from its disk copy.