BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Central posting to this list

2008-12-24 09:33:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Central posting to this list
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:30:51 -0500
Stephen Joyce wrote at about 23:51:58 -0500 on Tuesday, December 23, 2008:
 > Well, personally I find the Backup Central forum traffic to be annoying.
 > The email list existed long before the BC forum (for BackupPC) did and got
 > along fine without it. Further it's an untenable practice; if every
 > centralized resource wannabe created a web forum <-> email listserv
 > gateway, it would get very chaotic very quickly. In short, it's "not the
 > right way to do things" (tm).

Personally, I haven't been bothered by it or even really noticed it --
maybe because I have lower standards or am more obtuse than others.

On the other hand, it seems like many of the objections posed by
Holger could be solved by posting rules/guidelines for BackupPC usage
and by some simple hacking.
e.g.,
        1. Post some mailing list etiquette rules when users sign up and
           on the web form page before users start or confirm a post
        2. Remove the general reply button.
        3. Make quoting the replied-to-message the default, so that the
           context is always there. Since most newbie posters end up
           top-posting, the extra untrimmed quoting won't bother anybody
           anyway ;)
        4. Restrict line length to the RFC recommendation
        5. Implement other RFC recommendations as appropriate (and as
           feasible).